The 4P and marketing mix strategy for selling art in 2023
During our recent research in the field of marketing, we had the opportunity to return to these fundamental principles which make it possible to boost sales but also and above all to finalize them, thus making it possible to start generating interesting income with your creations.
After spending many years focused on connecting with your audience, it’s sometimes irritating to look at your bank account at the end of the month and realize that you have just enough to eat and pay living expenses, the meager salary which is no longer sufficient to cover all the needs of the household.
Knowing how to build your marketing mix, adjust it, take risks, do new tests, and relaunch the same product or the same brand 15x is not trivial in the marketing and sales environment, especially when it happens online. You have to be prepared for a wide range of customers with different expectations from each other.
We have decided to give you some tips that could be useful for you in this learning process because even among artists exhibiting regularly, this kind of technique tends to be quickly forgotten and it is also an interesting subject of discussion to find out what you have already tried on your side or give you new ideas to try to get out of your comfort zone.
We started by asking AI, how to explain the marketing mix and 4P policies to a young artist trying to sell his art online in 2023 and the answer was just as precise as this:
The marketing mix refers to the set of tactics and strategies that a company uses to promote and sell its products or services. It consists of four main elements: product, price, promotion, and place. These elements are often referred to as the “4Ps.”
- Product: This refers to the goods or services that a company is selling. For a young artist selling art online, this would include things like the type of art being sold (e.g. paintings, drawings, sculptures), the materials used, and the quality of the work.
- Price: This is the amount of money that customers must pay to purchase the product. When setting a price for your art, you’ll need to consider the cost of materials, the time and effort you put into creating the piece, and any other expenses you incur. You’ll also want to consider the prices of similar products being sold by other artists, as well as the price point that your target market is willing to pay.
- Promotion: This refers to the various ways that you’ll market and advertise your art to potential customers. This could include things like social media marketing, email marketing, search engine optimization, and traditional advertising methods like print or radio ads.
- Place: This refers to the channels or platforms through which you’ll sell your art. For an online artist, this could include your own website, online marketplaces like Etsy or ArtPal, or even social media platforms like Instagram.
By carefully considering these 4Ps, you can create a cohesive marketing strategy that will help you effectively promote and sell your art online.
LOOKING FOR A HOT NFT?
Checkout this amazing artwork created by artist Steve Bayard in 2022
Let’s talk first about products. To create amazing products that will have a high potential for selling and resales in 2023, there are a few key things that young emerging artists and digital illustrators can do to create amazing products that will have a high potential for selling and resales in 2023:
- Develop your own unique style: One of the most important things you can do to set yourself apart from other artists is to develop a distinct, recognizable style. This might be a certain type of subject matter you focus on, a specific color palette, or a certain level of detail or abstraction. Experiment with different approaches and find what works best for you.
- Create high-quality work: It’s important to put in the time and effort to create the best work you can. This might involve investing in high-quality materials, taking workshops or classes to improve your skills, or simply putting in the time to practice and refine your craft.
- Stay up to date on trends: It can be helpful to pay attention to current trends in the art world and in the digital illustration industry specifically. This can help you create work that resonates with your audience and is more likely to sell.
- Utilize the power of social media: Social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok can be powerful tools for promoting your work and reaching new audiences in 2023. Consider creating an account specifically for your art and regularly posting updates, behind-the-scenes content, and finished pieces.
- Be open to collaboration: Collaborating with other artists or brands can be a great way to expand your reach and create new, exciting work. Don’t be afraid to reach out to others and see if there are any opportunities for collaboration.
By following these tips and continuing to develop your skills and knowledge, you can create amazing products that have a high potential for selling and resale in 2023.
Pricing your art correctly can be challenging, especially when you’re just starting out and may not have a lot of sales data to go on. Here are a few tips to help you price your products correctly when trying to sell art online and on social media:
- Consider your costs: When pricing your art, it’s important to consider the costs associated with creating it. This might include things like the cost of materials, any fees for online platforms or marketplaces, and the time and effort you put into the piece. You’ll want to make sure that you’re covering these costs, as well as making a profit.
- Research the market: Look at the prices of similar products being sold by other artists, both online and offline. This can give you an idea of the going rate for similar pieces and help you determine a fair price for your own work.
- Think about your target market: Consider the price point that your target market is willing to pay. If you’re targeting a high-end market, for example, you’ll likely be able to charge more for your art than if you’re targeting a budget-conscious audience.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment: It’s okay to start with a tentative price and adjust it as you gain more sales data and customer feedback. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different price points and see what works best for you.
Remember to also calculate storage and warehouse costs. You will also have to pay attention to the costs of registering your works before you can distribute them or start publishing them on the web so as not to lose control of the fraudulent uses that can be made of them. In this case, the calculation of the costs and fees of a good lawyer can be very useful in order to protect you further.
By considering your costs, researching the market, and thinking about your target market, you can set a fair and reasonable price for your art that allows you to make a profit while still being competitive.
Do you plan on using AI for your art in 2023? Let us know in the comments!
Staying up to date on trends can be important for young emerging artists and digital illustrators, as it can help you create work that resonates with your audience and is more likely to sell. Here are a few ways to stay up to date on trends in 2023:
- Follow industry blogs and publications: There are many blogs and publications that cover the art and design industries, and following these can be a great way to stay informed about current trends and developments.
- Follow other artists and designers on social media: Many artists and designers use social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok to showcase their work and share their thoughts on current trends and techniques. Following these accounts can be a great way to stay up to date on what’s happening in the industry.
- Attend art and design events: Attending events like art fairs, exhibitions, and conferences can be a great way to learn about current trends and techniques and connect with other artists and designers.
- Experiment and try new things: Another way to stay up to date on trends is to simply keep an open mind and be willing to try new things. Experiment with different techniques and styles, and don’t be afraid to take risks and try something new.
By following these tips and staying engaged with the art and design community, you can stay up to date on trends and continue to grow and evolve as an artist.
Promotion is what I call a super creative field itself, there are so many different ways that young emerging artists and digital illustrators can use to promote their art and sell their products. Here are a few ideas we found out for using social media marketing, email marketing, search engine optimization, and traditional advertising methods to promote your art.
Let’s try a few methods to apply what you’ve learned until here today:
- Social media marketing: Social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok can be great places to showcase your art and reach a large, engaged audience. Consider creating an account specifically for your art and regularly posting updates, behind-the-scenes content, and finished pieces. You can also use hashtags and engage with other artists and art enthusiasts to increase your visibility.
- Email marketing: Building an email list of fans and potential customers can be a great way to stay in touch and promote your art. Consider offering a free download or other incentives to encourage people to sign up for your email list, and then send out regular newsletters or promotional emails highlighting your latest work.
- Search engine optimization (SEO): If you have your own website or online store, optimizing it for search engines can help you attract more visitors and potentially increase sales. This might involve doing things like using relevant keywords in your website content and titles, optimizing your images for search engines, and building backlinks from other websites.
- Traditional advertising methods: While digital marketing can be very effective, traditional methods like print ads and radio ads can still be very useful ways to promote your art. Consider advertising in local newspapers, art magazines, local radio stations, or even professional apps to reach a new audience.
By using a combination of these marketing methods, you can effectively promote your art and reach a wider audience.
AN NFT+ FOR LESS THAN 150€?
By purchasing an NFT+ from BayardStore featured in 4ART, you will own a unique digital asset that can potentially increase in value over time starting at a very affordable price for any graffiti art collector.
How to place your art in front of a new audience?
There are many ways that young emerging artists can use different channels and platforms to sell their art online and reach a new audience. Here is a more detailed and scientific explanation of how to do this:
- Creating your own website: Having a dedicated website for your art can be a powerful way to showcase your work and reach a new audience. By building a website, you have a central hub that you can use to showcase your art, provide information about yourself and your art, and sell your products directly to customers. When creating your website, it’s important to consider factors like design, layout, and navigation, as well as the technical aspects of building and hosting a website. You’ll also want to consider search engine optimization (SEO) strategies, as this can help you improve your visibility in search engine results and attract more visitors to your site.
- Online marketplaces: Online marketplaces like Etsy, BayardStore, and 4Artmarketplace can be a great way to reach a large, targeted audience of potential buyers. These platforms allow you to set up a shop and sell your art directly to customers, and they handle many of the logistical details like payment processing and shipping. When using online marketplaces to sell your art, it’s important to consider things like fees and commissions, as well as the specific guidelines and policies of each platform.
- Social media platforms: Social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok as well as Pinterest can be powerful tools for promoting and selling your art. By creating an account specifically for your art and regularly posting updates, behind-the-scenes content, and finished pieces, you can reach a large, engaged audience of potential buyers. It’s also important to use hashtags and engage with other artists and art enthusiasts to increase your visibility and reach a new audience.
- Facebook merchant center and shop: If you have a Facebook page for your art, you can use the Facebook merchant center and shop to sell your products directly to your followers. This can be a great way to reach a large, targeted audience and make it easy for customers to purchase your art. When using the Facebook merchant center and shop, it’s important to consider factors like fees, payment processing, and any specific guidelines or policies.
By placing your art on a variety of channels and platforms, you can reach a wider audience and increase your chances of making sales. It’s important to carefully consider the specific features and requirements of each platform and to tailor your marketing and sales strategies accordingly.
What you’ve learned here? The 4P marketing mix (product, price, promotion, and place) can be a useful framework for young emerging artists and digital illustrators to consider when promoting and selling their art online. By carefully considering these elements and using a variety of channels and platforms, you can effectively reach a new audience and increase your chances of making sales. We hope that you’ve found this information helpful and that you’ll consider incorporating these marketing methods into your own marketing mix. If you’ve enjoyed this blog post, please don’t forget to like and share it with your friends and followers. We appreciate your support and look forward to bringing you more valuable content in the future.
In conclusion, we hope that you’ve enjoyed reading this blog post and that you’ll take the time to visit the shop and collections pages of our website to view our latest works and metaverse projects. As a young emerging artist, we appreciate any support you can offer, whether it’s through purchasing our art, sharing our content with your friends and followers, or simply leaving a comment to let us know what you think. If you’re interested in supporting our work and research with AI, we’d also be grateful for any donations you’d like to make. Thank you for your support and we look forward to sharing more of our work with you in the future.